Thursday, January 19, 2012

A little something just for me

Fall was very busy...craft fairs, hubby's promotion testing, new nephew, more craft fairs, lots of sewing for craft fairs...

I am trying to slow down a bit the early part of this year to tackle some projects I have been wanting to do for us...for me. To remind me that sewing isn't just deadlines and hundreds of snack bags. But something fun and a way to provide something beautiful for my family.

So though I won't get all of those unfinished (or unstarted!) projects taken care of, I want to at least do a few!

This quilt kit was given to my by my mother-in-law the first Christmas after we were married. The colors are beautiful, though these pictures don't do them any justice. She bought it because the colors reminded her of our wedding (pink and orange were the accents). Finally, about a year ago I pulled it out and worked on it.

And kicked myself because it only took about 2 hours to put together. And it was beautiful. And I could have been enjoying it for 6+ years...

The colors just warm my heart. I also am reminded of our wedding, but also of a warm fall day. A little funky because of the irregularities of the color variations and the purposely mismatched stripes. The appliqued flowers that add a little extra pop. All I gotta say, is thanks to my MIL for getting this great piece for me!





Then last spring, I got it quilted by Gina up at Oodles of Doodles Longarm Quilting & Crafts up in Riley, KS. She did an AMAZING job. She used a non-bleached muslin on the back to showcase the beautiful quilting, and a pink, orange and marigold variegated thread. Amazing. If you are looking to have something quilted, give Gina a call. She does great work, is very imaginative (and does it all manually, no computer-generated quilting there!) and is priced very reasonably. Highly recommend Oodles of Doodles! She has some great fabrics, too!



And finally, I sat one afternoon last week and put the bias on it to finish it off. Again, wishing I hadn't waited a year to get this done! Can't wait to curl up under it to read a book or rock a baby to sleep these cold winter nights!

No comments:

Post a Comment